The Security Assessment is a process where security expert uses his/her knowledge and experience to spot problems and recommend changes to improve security.
- Reduce risk of loss of customer trust or revenue due to incident downtime and lost sales
- Maintain stakeholder expectations and avoid penalties due to contracts or law
- Reduce incidents that take focus away from the actual business
- Get rid of Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD). Unclear security may misdirect efforts
- Identify any technical gaps relating to GDPR
- Allows identifying and resolving security issues. The assessment improves security understanding, and this helps avoiding similar items in future.
- Learning about security reduce rework due to security, and increase efficiency of security work.
- Opportunity for process improvement. Root causes for identified issues often point to gaps in secure development life cycle. Assessment may also validate success of already done security improvements.
- Support decision making with factual information about current state of security. Identifies technical debt relating to security for planning.